Remote Sensing ::
Java-based Interactive Science Data Visualization System
Total downloads from Open Channel to date: 393
WebWinds is an interactive science data visualization system, written
in Java and available for all major computer platforms. Its use
does not require any user programming experience since sessions are
created by assembling components on the screen via 'point and
click'. WebWinds is modular, allowing flexibility in tool
construction and application. This version allows internet-based
distributed processing for the first time so that it can fulfill the
needs of data providers as well as data consumers.
The WebWinds user interface uses a direct manipulation approach in
that it employs continuous representation of displays and controls
requiring physical actions rather than complex syntax. The benefits of
this approach are that it allows rapid response to operations with
immediately visible effects.
Webwinds now does distributed processing allowing
direct data access via a data server.
Currently, the main features of WebWinds are:
- The ability to present and manipulate 2 and 3 dimensional data in
a variety of 1 and 2 dimensional display tools
- The ability to subset and sub-sample data on input or display
output, making it possible to handle very large data sets.
- The ability to concatenate or combine data sets to create a
higher order data set.
- The ability to overlay tabular data on top of images.
- The ability to display several types of coordinate projections
for some types of data.
- Simultaneous display and analysis of multiple data sets which may
be totally unrelated.
- Interactive color manipulation.
- The ability to act as a Web browser helper application, making it
possible to survey scientific data archives in interactive mode.
- Ability to save sub-setted or sub-sampled data.
- A scripting language which allows session configuration, re-run,
macros, network collaboration and distributed processing.
- A context sensitive help system.
- The ability to save images from the screen to a file, including
- Complete, free installation programs (including Java) for most
- A server software package which allows
remote data access, sub-setting and sub-sampling.
- 3D rendered displays capable of depicting an image in perspective
using lighting and shading:
Copyright 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Caltech/Jet Propulsion Laboratory
More software from Jet Propulsion Laboratory